[chef] ERROR: RuntimeError: Please set EDITOR environment variable

  • From: Tom Hodder < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] ERROR: RuntimeError: Please set EDITOR environment variable
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 08:46:21 +0100

Ohai chefs,

I've just setup a workstation on windows, and I'm getting the following error when I try to edit a data bag;

$ knife data bag edit tomhodder tomhodder
ERROR: RuntimeError: Please set EDITOR environment variable

I've tried various combinations of vi, vim, /bin/vim and /bin/vi like so;

$ export EDITOR=/bin/vim

but its still rather stubbornly returning;

$ knife data bag edit tomhodder tomhodder
ERROR: RuntimeError: Please set EDITOR environment variable

Interestingly, I can't get it to bite on any of the options versions of providing the EDITOR, using "-e" or "--editor";

$ knife data bag edit tomhodder tomhodder -e vim
ERROR: RuntimeError: Please set EDITOR environment variable

$ knife data bag edit tomhodder tomhodder --editor vim
ERROR: RuntimeError: Please set EDITOR environment variable

$ knife data bag edit tomhodder tomhodder --editor /bin/vim
ERROR: RuntimeError: Please set EDITOR environment variable

any suggestions?