[chef] Re: Re: Is Chef a good fit for Java deployments?

  • From: Ranjib Dey < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Is Chef a good fit for Java deployments?
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 10:59:58 -0700

We did the same for one of larger j2ee deployments. We had a notion of blue green deployment where staging env will always deploy the latest but prod env would go through gated blue green stages, i.e only on subset of tomcats will perform the deployment, & they'll go out of the load balancer during blue phase. Initially we had an lwrp that would exploit tomcat7's manager api for hot deployment, later we changed the implementation to do actual war cut/paste on disk and bounce the tomcat service (there was memery leaks in the manager api). We also had some additional settings to manage the hierarchical cachingĀ  stuff.