[chef] Visualizing your network with Chef, chef-span, and Gephi

  • From: Joshua Miller < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Visualizing your network with Chef, chef-span, and Gephi
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 22:26:15 -0700

Hi all,

I've just pushed the code for a project I've been working on to visualize logical network connectivity in my environment using chef server node data.  I'm calling it "chef-span".

In short, we can query the chef server about information that shows connections between nodes, then build vertices and edges to describe them, and output the content in a graphing-software-compatible format.  This info can be used to see system dependencies, central services, and unexpected connections, among other uses.

To extend what chef knows about connections between nodes, I've created a cookbook that collects and rolls up netstat connections, which are then picked up by an ohai plugin.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Joshua Miller