[chef] Re: Suggested way to upgrade chef-client?

  • From: Dan Razzell < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Suggested way to upgrade chef-client?
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 13:02:13 -0700

A disadvantage of manually downloading and installing Debian packages is that dpkg doesn't manage dependencies.  If your system never uses apt-get, but instead you do your own dependency management somehow, that's arguably a possible strategy.  It was how Solaris packages were managed.  But if you do use apt-get, then manually installing some packages with dpkg throws the model into an inconsistent state.