[chef] Re: Re: Re: chef-solo server deploy with many services

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: chef-solo server deploy with many services
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 09:18:50 -0700

On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Albert Vonpupp wrote:

Thanks for your answer Daniel.

I'm having just one git repo that should be available all the time (i.e. github or similar). My goal would be continuous delivery of an rpm / deb package with the cookbooks within.

My main concern is if using templates of configuration files instead of cookbooks would be better or not. Ideally I would prefer cookbooks, but I don't seem to find all of them, i.e: dhcp-server (working) with rndc-keys.
Templates are part of cookbooks. I'm assuming you mean using a community cookbook vs. writing your own with templates based on your current config files?

Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot.
If you have the time, the best thing to do is fork the cookbooks on github, patch them to provide the feature you need, and submit a pull request. Use your forked version in the meantime while working with the maintainer to get your patch in.

If you don't have time for that, or feel like the existing cookbook is way off from your use case, then write your own that does just what you need.

--
Daniel DeLeo