[chef] Re: Re: Re: swap consuming bug in cookbook_file, chef-solo v10.26, SmartOS

  • From: Ranjib Dey < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: swap consuming bug in cookbook_file, chef-solo v10.26, SmartOS
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 12:53:27 -0700

check if this helps
regards
ranjib

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Yonah Russ < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Hi,

Regarding the file server bit, we're using chef-solo+git specifically to avoid setting up infrastructure (like chef or nfs or lighttpd servers) just to manage our infrastructure.
I could easily workaround the bug by running cp source destination in a bash/execute resource but it seems like the cookbook_file resource was meant to be used for this :?
Is there a howto on using ruby-prof to find the problem here or chef problems in general?

Thanks,
Yonah

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Ranjib Dey < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

Though this behavior is not expected , I'll suggest not to use chef as a file server to distribute large binaries or config files . use NFS or a vanilla lighthttpd server in to host the file and remotely_file resource inside the chef recipes to install it instead.
For getting the root cause you can use ruby-prof with kcachegrind to check which part of the close is actually consuming large memory