[chef] The files in the checksums subdirectory

  • From: Russell Bateman < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] The files in the checksums subdirectory
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 11:19:09 -0600

Along side my .chef subdirectory, there's another named checksums. As I'm trying to keep all my work in version control, and begin sharing it with other developers, I need to understand whether these files must also be kept and a little more about them.

My fellow team members aren't Cheffy yet; no one's begun using what I'm keeping except me. Therefore, I haven't observed the problems of sharing them with with others yet (and haven't simulated yet--I thought I'd ask first).

1. I assume these files are important and reading what I can find via Google doesn't encourage me to think I can just chuck them.

2. These files are numerous; I don't wish to keep them unless they're crucial. (So, I'd like to the chuck them.)

3. I wonder how specific they are, to wit, if I'm sharing my node, role and recipe definitions with others, will managing the checksums subdirectory get in our way?

Any light someone could shed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Russ