[chef] Re: Re: Re: SCM for node definitions?

  • From: Ben Hines < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: SCM for node definitions?
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 12:19:24 -0700

This was literally just talked about 2 days ago on this here mailing list.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Jeff Blaine < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
On 8/13/2013 2:51 PM, Ranjib Dey wrote:
u mean the node object?

Yes. We're a "lab" type of environment with a wide array of node types and configurations. It is a rarity for any of our servers to have the exact same configuration as another. Fun...

I'm having uneasy feelings lately about everything *except* our node code/data being in files under SCM. It's a break from convention, an unnecessary(???) anomaly for other less experienced staff to remember, etc.

I guess one could download all of the current nodes' JSON data into files, check them all in, and somehow disable 'knife node edit' in favor of 'knife node from file'?

Anyone doing this?

we dont check them in scm. but we do backup api client & node objects (and sync them against a mirror chef server).