[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SCM for node definitions?

  • From: Maxime Brugidou < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SCM for node definitions?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 08:08:41 +0200

What I call release management is actually automated and consist of simply git push triggering unit test builds, preprod deployment and later prod. It can effectively be done multiple times per hour/day and is independent between teams (since there are separate chef repositories) so I consider the process agile. It just has to be done by someone who knows git and chef. We don't want a UI that someone else could use without SCM.

The synchronization between teams/orgs is actually an interesting topic. The team/org is fully responsible for their chef repo and the cookbooks so we don't want another compliance team to push things on servers without their knowledge or consent. However we can centralize the deployment and add compliance checks there. This is actually very flexible. It can guarantee that people upgrade the compliance cookbook.