[chef] Re: Best Practice Performing Upgrade and Uninstall

  • From: Arnold Krille < >
  • To: < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Best Practice Performing Upgrade and Uninstall
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 12:51:30 +0200

Am 2013-08-21 04:20, schrieb Howard Zhang:
Hi,

I am new to Chef.

I ran over some recipes in several cookbooks maintained by the community.

All I see is installation. I wonder the best practice of upgrading and
uninstalling software?

Could you give me some brief idea how to upgrade and uninstall software?
(please do not say " apt-get uninstall").

Some cookbooks ship recipes for uninstall. But most don't bother.
Either you uninstall via "apt-get uninstall <pkg>" (I prefer purge). Or you just throw that vm away.
When you automate the creation of virtual machines, its easier to just remove the recipe from the node and re-install the node then to spent valuable tech-time touching the node(s) and removing the software by hand.

Upgrading I do by hand (apt-get upgrade). I tried using the :upgrade action on the package resource once, but that upgrades packages as soon as some new version is available and not during hours I have time for this. Its not much fun when the whole web-app shuts down during office-hours because apache has to stop, update and restart. Better schedule that time. Or just create a new node with the current versions, let the reverse-proxy pick that up and then remove the old node...

Have fun,

Arnold