[chef] Unable to reach latest version installation Chef server webUI

  • From: Russell Bateman < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Unable to reach latest version installation Chef server webUI
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 10:33:56 -0600

I have an installation of chef-server_10.18.2 (I've lost the original Debian package) running on Ubuntu Precise (12.04 LTS) server.
There are Chef configuration files on the path /etc/chef. Among the contents of this subdirectory is the file webui.rb. Warm and fuzzy.

I'm able to reach the older Chef server via it web UI using my browser and also

    $ wget 16.86.192.111:4040

Using netstat, I see that this is supposed to work (and it does as I say):

    $ netstat -lntp | grep chef
    tcp    0    0 0.0.0.0:4000   0.0.0.0:*    LISTEN    1046/merb : chef-se
    tcp    0    0 0.0.0.0:4040   0.0.0.0:*    LISTEN    1046/merb : chef-se

I have a fresh installation of chef-server_11.0.8-1.ubuntu.12.04_amd64.deb on Ubuntu Precise (12.04 LTS) server. The installation went without a hitch.
There are Chef configuration files on the path /etc/chef-server. I sort of expected this, but the contents of this subdirectory do not include the file webui.rb. Cold and prickly, but I'm totally down with progress in whatever form.

I'm unable to reach the new installation via my browser or wget, though ps -ef tells me it's indeed running. netstat reveals that Chef isn't listening on any port.

The delta here appears to be the Chef versions and, of course, the contents and placement of Chef configuration.

I'm eager to launch a browser at the new server so I can get Cheffing. What am I missing? Am I supposed to provide webui.rb? How otherwise do I tell Chef to listen on 4000/4040? The older Chef install installed it for me (and I left it at its defaults). I could not find a Chef server 10.x download at opscode, but I don't really want to swim against progress anyway.

Profuse thanks for any directions anyone can give to get me running.

Best regards,

Russ