[chef] How to discriminate between multiple directories in files/?

  • From: Russell Bateman < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] How to discriminate between multiple directories in files/?
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 17:42:09 -0600

I'm working on a special MongoDB recipe that has
files
    default
        mongodb
            arbiter
                log
            configsvr
                log
            sharding
                log
            bin

and I have recipes default.rb, arbiter.rb, configsvr.rb, sharding.rb, replica.rb.

default.rb is run no matter what to install basic MongoDB on any database node. Then, depending on the node's function, another recipe is run.

I think I want to use...
remote_directory "/data/mongodb" do
    source "mongodb"
    etc.
end
...in the default recipe, but I don't ever want the default recipe to create the additional, irrelevant directory structure for arbiter, configuration server, sharding router, etc. on every node. The respective recipes, if run, will take care of that.

Opcode's remote_directory documentation speaks only of sources under default, which implies that while, for the configsvr.rb I could do...
remote_directory "/data/mongodb/configsvr" do
    source "mongodb/configsvr"
end
...and expect the additional structure to be added, it's not clear to me how to avoid extra structure in default.rb. Or do I need to resort to a separate cookbook for my basic default MongoDB installation? Other MongoDB cookbooks I see appear to be adding a bunch of subdirectory structure even when not needed.

I'm still very new at this and my view of the problem may be completely twisted.

Many thanks and best regards,

Russ