[chef] Re: Re: 100% CPU usage of Chef-server beam.smp

  • From: Astlock < >
  • To: Aaron Binford < >
  • Cc: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: 100% CPU usage of Chef-server beam.smp
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 20:13:25 +0300

Thanks guys. I deleted all cookbooks as suggested by Aaron and re-uploaded again. The problem is gone.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Aaron Binford < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Had this happen to me a few weeks ago. Ended up going nuclear, removing all of my cookbooks and then re-uploading them. In any event, it was the push I needed to start using berkshelf.

From the reading I did, it seems that if you pin an object to a specific version of a cookbook an then that cookbook goes missing or is removed in favor of a newer one, chaos ensues. I'm sure it had to do with the dramatic jump in the version on the osx community cookbook, but I didn't have the time to burn tracking it down.

Usually when I see this issue it’s because Chef cannot resolve all cookbook dependencies.

Unfortunately, I haven’t found an easy and practical way to check that apart from actually looking down the cookbook dependency tree until I find the culprit.

To get the chef server back to normal CPU usage, restart it. If you try to run the chef client without solving the issue, the CPU will once again be consumed by beam.smp.

Good luck!