[chef] Baremetal Provisioning

  • From: Phillip Roberts < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Baremetal Provisioning
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 15:54:44 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Does anyone have any good links or pointers to bare metal provisioning? I have done plenty of cloud based chef stuff, however, we want to now start managing all of our physical servers with chef as well. I am trying to replace as much of our build system as possible (ad hoc bash / perl scripts) for this provisioning. So I am looking for a good way to do this, I understand chef is not a PXE server, but just how far back in the tool chain can I go?

My thoughts are serving up a kickstart file (since we are a RHEL / Cent based shop) that builds just enough of the OS in order to hand off to chef.

Anyway, any pointers, or past presentations / links would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Phillip Roberts | Sr. Linux Administrator

San Mateo | Ann Arbor | New York | London

O 734.922.7014 | C 614.423.9871 | www.MyBuys.com

cid:image001.png@01CDDDEC.1264D1F0