[chef] Re: CHEF-3506 - Don't save the node object when using an override run list?

  • From: Sam Pointer < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: CHEF-3506 - Don't save the node object when using an override run list?
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 11:49:07 +0100

I know the following doesn't directly answer the question at hand, but being able to override the run_list has always seemed like an anti-feature to me. It breaks a central tenet of configuration management in that you should be able to reproduce your infrastructure from the committed state of your source repository. In essence, there is nothing separating a for-loop around ssh and an override run other than the DSL. You've made a non-reproducible snowflake all the same, or you've re-introduced run books. Both poor outcomes.

Whilst I am certainly not immune to practicality, a lot of the justifications for override run_lists I've attempted to make ("I want to do this one thing on this one box once to test", etc.) are simply excuses being made for poor process and an incomplete ability to test changes before they are applied against production.

So, whilst not perhaps the answer that is wanted, my reply would be "none of the above, remove the ability to override". It smacks of enabling a rewrite of bash into the Chef DSL whilst missing the real point behind what we're all trying to do with configuration management.

Sam Pointer
Lead Consultant