[chef] Re: Re: Sizing a Chef Server

  • From: Sam Pointer < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Sizing a Chef Server
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 19:02:09 +0100

As a quick litmus, a benchmark I did with an early 11.x open source Omnibus with Ubuntu 10.4 LTS on an EC2 m1.xlarge can easily support 500 nodes with hundreds of resources per node and searches used for inter-tier discovery.

We also concluded there is likely headroom to double that client number before CPU becomes a bottleneck on that particular platform. For node volumes beyond that my experience has mainly been 10.x clustered, so I can't comment on 11.x as the game changes with the introduction of the Erlang API.

For us on "moderate" hardware disk space consumption has never been a concern in either set-up. Incidentally, the above benchmark was performed with the "worst possible" disk layout of everything-including-the-database on the root ephemeral volume, and I/O wasn't going to be a limiting factor for quite some time and certainly not before other parameters held things up.

For enterprise, other clouds, newer releases, real server catalog numbers and so-on I defer to others and the Opscode folks and their sizing guides, and of course with hosted enterprise it isn't a concern. Of course, every estate and implementation is different, YMMV and so-on.

Sam Pointer

On 26 September 2013 18:22, Andy Gale < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 6:02 PM, Stephen Corbesero
< "> > wrote:
> Are there any guidelines for how to size a chef 11 server , especially in
> terms of disk space?

Have you seen this?

http://docs.opscode.com/chef_system_requirements.html

(Scroll down the bottom where you will find "Open Source Server" requirements)

--
Andy Gale
http://andy-gale.com