[chef] Re: Re: Re: CHEF-4579: should package action install also upgrade?

  • From: Elvin Abordo < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: CHEF-4579: should package action install also upgrade?
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 16:14:05 -0400

If you put it that way, that sounds a bit more appealing. Though i think semantics is very important (especially to new comers) I still think action :install should do exactly what it implies, install a package and that's that.

A co-worker of mine mentioned maybe we can move forward with action :install to also upgrade packages but set the upgrade attribute to false by default, that way those that want it to mimic OS actions can and those of us shaking at the thought can be put at ease.

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Bryan McLellan < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Brian Hatfield < "> > wrote:
> No. I strongly object to this.
>
> action :upgrade exists and is sufficient.
>
> If action :install performed upgrades, it would absolutely destroy things,
> for example running MongoDB using the 10gen repos and having a 2.2 database
> upgrade to 2.4 behind your back, etc.

The question is a bit higher level than that surrounding the entire
semantics of package, not simply should install also upgrade.

You could have attributes to control it.

# installs but doesn't upgrade
package "mongodb" do
  action :install
  upgrade false