[chef] Re: Re: Any interest in a knife plugin for package updates?

  • From: "steve ." < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Any interest in a knife plugin for package updates?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 13:00:39 -0700

I think we mentioned at ChefConf this year that we wrote a cookbook to try to handle this.  A knife plugin seems like an interesting alternative, but we were thinking in terms of patching many servers at once ... in which case you really don't want a human to answer a series of yes-or-no questions _even once_ to say which packages should or shouldn't be upgraded.

By moving those decisions into a version-controlled Chef object, it's at least subject to your change control processes.

Has anyone else done anything like this in OSS Chef for patching, BTW?