[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chef 11.8 Dependency Question

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chef 11.8 Dependency Question
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 10:33:43 -0700

On Friday, November 1, 2013 at 10:20 AM, David Petzel wrote:
Thanks John,
So I'm not sure I following your comment. I did install via omnibus, so I don't have build tools installed, which is where the issue seems to stem from. Here is a GIST of what I'm seeing.

Even when attempting to install manually I'm hitting that error.
Rubygems, by default, will upgrade every gem it possibly can when installing a new gem. This means that if any “chef plugin” kind of project specifies a dependency on Chef, rubygems will try to upgrade chef when you install it. I don’t know exactly when the option was added, but newish versions of rubygems have a `—conservative` option that should disable that behavior. I’d need to look more in-depth to see how you should use this with the chef_gem or gem_package resources, but it should work if you give that option as a string to the options parameter.

In the bigger picture, it may be best if plugins do not specify a dependency on Chef. The downside to that is plugins can’t specify a minimum version of chef they support. I don’t have a good solution for that right now.

--
Daniel DeLeo