[chef] Re: tomcat6 start failing; not much info

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: tomcat6 start failing; not much info
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 16:11:18 -0800

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Michael Hayes wrote:
Default Tomcat recipe. At the end of the recipe, it goes to start tomcat and fails:

 Expected process to exit with [0], but received '1'
   ---- Begin output of /etc/init.d/tomcat6 start ----
   STDOUT: * Starting Tomcat servlet engine tomcat6
      ...fail!
   STDERR:
   ---- End output of /etc/init.d/tomcat6 start ----
   Ran /etc/init.d/tomcat6 start returned 1

If I log into the node, I can start tomcat fine from the command line, so maybe it’s timing out on start…?

Full recipe verbose output and stacktrace:
There’s not a lot of helpful information in this output. Doesn’t look like anything is timing out. You should look into the contents of the script to see if you can glean any insight. A common issue with java services is ENV vars not being set, so you could look at your own environment when you’re logged in to see if there’s any differences.

--
Daniel DeLeo