[chef] Re: Significance of attributes in metadata.rb file

  • From: Joshua Timberman < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Significance of attributes in metadata.rb file
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 08:32:10 -0700

Hello,

The attributes in metadata are documentation and not actually used by the cookbook for purposes of recipes and the like. The metadata gets converted to JSON and is stored and used on the chef server primarily. Because this metadata is JSON and machine parseable, it can be used by user interfaces such as the community site to automatically display information about the cookbook.

Unfortunately as documentation it often gets overlooked or neglected as part of maintaining a cookbook.