[chef] Re: Encrypted databag local management

  • From: Tony Burns < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Encrypted databag local management
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 16:10:38 -0500

I’ve been using this for awhile now https://gist.github.com/tabolario/6512068

Essentially it let’s you use a rake task (I called it chef:data_bags:encrypted) to edit encrypted data bags locally so you can commit them to your repo. There’s a couple downsides I’ve found when working with the rest of the team on this. Obviously you still need to remember to run knife data bag from file after you edit one of these, and you also need to be aware of other people working on the same data bag since the files can’t be merged.