[chef] Stove 2.0.0 Beta

  • From: Seth Vargo < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Stove 2.0.0 Beta
  • Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 17:30:17 -0500

Ohai Chefs,

I've been hard at work on getting Stove 2.0 out to the door. I originally had a Christmas deadline, but that came an past...

I'm happy to announce the Stove 2.0 beta is on Rubygems and you can install it with the --pre flag:

gem install stove --pre

Stove is a command line application for managing cookbook release cycles. I built version 1.0 when I was working on the COOK project and Chef uses it internally to release cookbooks to the community site, close JIRA issues, publish GitHub artifacts, and more.

If you've every released a Ruby gem, Stove is rake release on steroids - https://github.com/sethvargo/stove.

Version 2.0 is a complete rewrite with an entirely new approach. Complete with an internal logger than makes debugging a breeze, filters, skippable actions, and pre-execution validations.

Notable changes:

  • Validations - nothing is run if the entire run won't succeed
  • Filters - Git, GitHub, and JIRA and now "filters" and they hook into actions
  • Action - notable checkpoints in a release process. Filters (aka plugins) can attach to these checkpoints
  • Speed improvements
  • GH enterprise support
  • Personal JIRA support (although you'll need to have the exact same structure as Chef's JIRA for now)

The full changelog is available on GitHub and I look forward to feedback :)

Happy cookbooking! .

Seth Vargo
Release Engineer, Opscode

  • [chef] Stove 2.0.0 Beta, Seth Vargo, 12/28/2013