[chef] Re: Re: Environments & Databags

  • From: J Light < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Environments & Databags
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 12:35:46 -0500

We used to just have different data bags for different environments and use the environment attribute to determine which data bag was hit with the query dynamically.

I liked that better than having items mixed up in the same data bag, but each partitioning comes with its own pros and cons.

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Seth Falcon < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Hi,

"> writes:
> Hello!  How do you folks deal with environment-specific data in databags?
>  And databag items?
>
> For example, for the first case, let's say a user should be in one group in
> stage, and a different group in prod.

A pattern we use is:

  data_bags/
      users/
          prod.json
          preprod.json

So anything that needs environment specific settings gets an environment
specific data bag item.

Recipe code can then select the right data bag item via the node's
chef_environment attribute.

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | Development Lead | CHEF | http://www.getchef.com/ | @sfalcon