[chef] Magic Shell 1.0.0

  • From: Seth Vargo < >
  • To:
  • Cc: Nathen Harvey < >,
  • Subject: [chef] Magic Shell 1.0.0
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 23:36:06 -0500

Ohai Chefs,

I just released magic_shell 1.0.0. Even though this is a new major release, it does not include any breaking API changes. At this point, the API is stable and therefore I've moved to an official major point release. You can safely rely on this cookbook without the risk of an API change in minor/patch versions moving forward.

The only difference in functionality in the newest version is variable expansion. Previously, set environment variables and aliases using single quotes. They are now set using double quotes, permitting expansion on variables like $PATH.

Release notes: https://github.com/customink-webops/magic_shell/releases/tag/v1.0.0

I especially want to draw attention to this cookbook, because I think it has a minimalistic testing model, but includes ChefSpec, Foodcritic, Rubocop, Test Kitchen, and Serverspec. It's published via Stove, supports whyrun mode, and distributes custom ChefSpec matchers at its core. I've been asked multiple times to provide a good example of "x" (where "x" is some testing paradigm or pattern). I now feel confident in pointing you toward the magic shell cookbook for a simplistic yet complete example.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions. Please use GitHub issues to report any problems with the cookbook.

Special shoutout to the CustomInk webops team for sheparding and managing the day-to-day functions of the magic_shell cookbook!

Happy cook(book)ing!

Seth Vargo
Release Engineer, Opscode

  • [chef] Magic Shell 1.0.0, Seth Vargo, 01/18/2014