[chef] Re: Chef API User Permissions?

  • From: Eric Herot < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Chef API User Permissions?
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 16:46:50 -0500

This 'gitupdater' client does not have a corresponding 'user' in our Hosted Chef account.  Might that be the issue?  It seems odd that non-user clients would be able to update but not create.

Other users on our system can create assets, but I have not been able to do so with the certificate for the 'gitupdater' client.

On Jan 29, 2014, at 2:06 PM, Steffen Gebert < "> > wrote:

Hi Eric,

> So I'm trying to set up a daemon to automatically update our Chef
assets whenever a change is made to a specific branch on our Chef repo
(data bags, roles, and environments only…cookbooks are handled with
Berkshelf).
Would you open source this project, please? There's interest from my side.

> I created an "admin client"
Have you tried an admin user, too? I'm still a bit confused, but IIRC
users were introduced with Chef 11, so there might be no need for the
admin clients anymore.

Did you test, if uploading works with your user's (or client's) certificate?

Steffen