[chef] Re: passing attributes during runtime

  • From: Ranjib Dey < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: passing attributes during runtime
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 10:40:49 -0800

you can invoke chef-client with -j option to pass custom attributes (including the run list). This is the exact mechanism using which chef bootstraps (install chef and other stuff on a virgin server). If you dont want the converged node state to be saved back to the chef server, you can use run list override (-o) option.
I have used same workflows to setup development and other type of instances where I want to reuse my chef scripts but dont want the target chef server to be under chef server, or actively managed (one time setup).

cheers
ranjib