[chef] Subject: Write tests for wrapper-cookbooks OR for community cookbooks?

  • From: Anton Koldaev < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Subject: Write tests for wrapper-cookbooks OR for community cookbooks?
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 18:26:55 +0100

I'm trying to start using community cookbooks(to update the current one's and to contribute more) and wrapping them in our organization-level cookbooks.
My environment is: latest Chef-server, Berkshelf, test-kitchen, Chef-zero, Jenkins-CI.

There are two main purposes of creating wrappers for every community cookbook:
I don't have a general Berksfile, so I need to tell Bekshelf and Jenkins CI about my cookbook and it's dependencies;
I need to modify cookbooks behaviour to get it working with other private cookbooks;

At this point I have two questions:

1. Should I write tests for cookbooks-wrappers OR fork upstream cookbooks and add tests there? Or should I do both? If I should do both then how to separate them?
Ideally I don't want to have community's cookbooks on my local filesystem since they're being loaded into Chef-server by Berkshelf from community site, but I need to run tests for them as well.

2. I'm creating $cookbook/tests/fixtures/data_bags/sample/someuser.json to use it in tests and test-kitchen uploads it for me to chef-zero server automatically. How can I load the data from that data_bag in my tests/integration/some_test.rb so I can create a test that checks if everything is created correct on the node?
For example for users cookbook I'm creating a sample user and I want to create a test that loads that sample user and checks wether it exists.

--
Best regards,
Anton

  • [chef] Subject: Write tests for wrapper-cookbooks OR for community cookbooks?, Anton Koldaev, 03/02/2014