[chef] build-essential 2.0.0

  • From: Seth Vargo < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] build-essential 2.0.0
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 15:00:33 -0400

Ohai Chefs,

I've just released version 2.0.0 of the build-essential cookbook. This release brings you the following:
  • Updated tested harnesses to use latest ecosystem tools
  • Added support for FreeBSD
  • Added support for installing XCode Command Line Tools on OSX (10.7, 10.8, 10.9)
  • Created a DSL method for wrapping compile_time vs runtime execution
  • Install additional developement tools on some platforms
  • Add nicer log and warning messages with helpful information

Potentially Breaking Changes

  • Dropped support for OSX 10.6
  • OSX no longer downloads OSX GCC and uses XCode CLI tools instead
  • build_essential -> build-essential in node attributes
  • compiletime -> compile_time in node attributes

Please note - this is a major version bump and does include some breaking API changes (mainly around attribute names). We tried to retain backwards compatibility as much as possible, so please check the output of your chef-client run for any deprecation warnings. BC fixes will be removed in 3.0.0.

Happy compiling!
Seth
@sethvargo

  • [chef] build-essential 2.0.0, Seth Vargo, 03/13/2014