[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Moving role attributes into cookbooks

  • From: Jeff Byrnes < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Moving role attributes into cookbooks
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 16:18:00 -0400

Unfortunate that you had issues using knife-ec2 with an SSH gateway; I worked that out like so:

knife ec2 server create \
    --environment stage \
    --node-name stage-new-instance \
    --flavor m1.small \
    --ssh-gateway
  \
    --ssh-user ec2-user \
    --security-group-ids sg-dd0bc0b6 \
    --run-list "recipe[et_base]"

I'd encourage taking one last quick stab at using knife-ec2 for this, as it will simplify a lot of things.

As an aside, eventually, we avoided using an SSH proxy by forking knife-ec2 (see https://github.com/evertrue/knife-ec2) to not handle the initial provision directly, but instead by pushing user data to S3, and using a signed URL to bootstrap the node. See my compatriot’s commits at evertrue/knife-ec2.

--
Jeff Byrnes
@berkleebassist