[chef] Wrapper cookbooks

  • From: Douglas Garstang < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Wrapper cookbooks
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 15:10:14 -0700

I'm having issues with wrapper cookbooks. The setup is pretty complex, so I'm not even quite sure how to describe it here in a way that makes sense.

Generally speaking though, I have a wrapper cookbook that wraps an application cookbook. That application cookbook includes other cookbooks. Something along the way, a location cookbook is included that calculates and sets some attributes.

Everything up to and including the application cookbook tests fine with vagrant. However, when I try and wrap that, it fails to find attributes previously set in the location cookbook. All I should need in the application wrapper is a single line for the application cookbook in the metadata, the Berksfile and and include_recipe, right?

The application wrapper cookbook should not need to reference anything except the cookbook it is wrapping. If I put an include_recipe "location" in there, it works. I don't understand this. I'm also very confused about the fact that if I don't mention the location cookbook in the metadata or the Berksfile, a vagrant up still shows it as grabbing it from git. Not sure if that's from a dependancy, or directly.

Help appreciated.

Doug.