[chef] Logging and references questions

  • From: Christian Fröstl < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Logging and references questions
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:16:57 +0000
  • Accept-language: de-DE, en-US

Hi there,

I have problems with understanding the logging procedure with chef.

I can log some information by using the following syntax:
         log „foo" do
        level :debug
        end

Now I find in some cookbooks the following spelling:
Chef::Log.debug("Node has Chef Server Recipe? #{node.recipe?("chef-server")}“)

What does Chef::Log.debug exactly do?
I do not get any output if i run the chef-client in normal or in debug mode. What is the STDOUT from Chef::Log?

By the way, I am not really sure what Chef:: represents. Where can I find the class or module Chef?
In some scripts I the other references like Chef::Client::SANE_PATHS. Where can I find the content of such references?

Sorry if the questions are a litte bit stupid, but I am right new in writing Code.

Thank you very much,

Christian