[chef] renaming a role

  • From: Chris Burroughs < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] renaming a role
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 14:56:20 -0400

We have a bunch of roles called foo-abc-123 that we would like to rename bar-abc-123. I've done several naive searches like on how to rename or change role names without finding anything.

Obviously for local purposes I can do git mv && unload-new-name, but that would leave all of the nodes with $OLD_NAME in a lurch.

Ideally I'd like to find some sort of integrated rename mechanism. Lacking that I think my question becomes: How do I change the run lists of all nodes with role[foo] to role[bar] without changing anything else about the run list?