[chef] Chef::Provider::Package::Rubygems - Ruby Gems Source

  • From: Ben McRae < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Chef::Provider::Package::Rubygems - Ruby Gems Source
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 22:13:07 +0100

Hi Everyone,

I want to question the functionality of installing a Gem from an additional source.

By default, the Ruby Gem provider is adding the 'http:/rubygems.org' source along with any user specified source (as long as it does not end in .gem).

I use my own local gem server (geminabox), with no access to the outside world, prohibiting access to http://rubygems.org.

Now the next part is controversial...

Ruby Gems throws a timeout error because it cannot connect to both sources, failing to install the gem from my local gem server which exists.

Yes, that is a Ruby Gem issue. However, I question whether the provider should be appending the ‘rubygems.org’ source in the first place.

In my opinion, I would suggest using the user specified gem source only, or the gem sources from the host machine.

Open for other peoples suggestions, this is my first post!

Thanks,

Ben