[chef] Re: Detecting AWS VPC w/OHAI

  • From: Daniel Condomitti < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Detecting AWS VPC w/OHAI
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 09:46:04 -0700

You need to create /etc/chef/ohai/hints/ec2.json. It doesn’t need any content but the file itself needs to exist. We pass a provider attribute into our node attributes (vsphere, openstack, ec2, etc) and added this to our bootstrap file:

<% if ['openstack', 'ec2' ].include? first_boot['provider'] %>
mkdir -p /etc/chef/ohai/hints
touch /etc/chef/ohai/hints/<%= first_boot['provider'] %>.json
<% end %>