[chef] chef_gem execution order

  • From: "David F. Severski" < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] chef_gem execution order
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 20:31:27 -0700

Ohai, chefs!

I'm getting some weirdness with the elasticsearch cookbook and finding some weirdness with the ebs recipe. When I include this recipe in my Chef-Solo V11 run list, I'm seeing the ebs recipe, specifically the fog gem installation, happen _before_ recipes that occur in my run list. This is problematic as I need the apt cookbook to run and update my repos. Having these out of date causes the fog install to fail.

I suspect this is relating to execution order, but I'm not clear on how to resolve this, short of baking my image to have more current repos at boot time (yuck). Can someone confirm my interpretation and hopefully provide some guidance to work around this problem?

Graci!

David