[chef] Re: Re: Re: Knife monitoring

  • From: Tristan Keen < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Knife monitoring
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 20:14:13 +0100

  We're looking into how to do something similar in using git to be the primary record of state (including audit-ability & changelog), i.e. cookbooks in separate repos, and a chef-data repo for databags, environments, etc. (we don't use roles).

  But storing nodes troubles me - a lot of tools & cookbooks expect to store state in the "normal" priority attributes, which are persisted in Chef Server's node database.  Transient state is generated by cookbooks at the other priority levels, which can be used to implement Search and other data publishing/metrics activity.  All that would get blitzed if we store all the nodes in the same chef-data repo, and did a blanket upload of all nodes (along with databags & environments) from the git repo whenever someone pushed a single new node/databag/whatever.

  Any suggestions on how do to cope with this?

Tristan.