[chef] Re: Chef Server security

  • From: Adam Jacob < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Chef Server security
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 09:17:40 -0700

Right. The tl;dr is that the Chef Server is a publishing platform - you publish content to it, and it distributes that content to the clients who need it. The security of that content relies on validating that the submitter is identified with a private key, that the requests they made were authorized, and that the checksums match (which is built in to the way the server stores and retrieves cookbook data.) If the Chef Server is compromised, all bets are of course off - you can manipulate the content that gets distributed directly. This is no different than any other distribution platform - if you can take control of the origin, you can manipulate what is distributed.

Best,
Adam