[chef] File resource management with chef

  • From: Joe Becknell < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] File resource management with chef
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 14:45:17 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

I’m new to chef and trying to understand how files are managed in cookbooks.

The problem I’m trying to solve is how to dynamically move a process (and it’s associated data files) from one box to another.

I have a scenario where I have 2 cookbooks that manage 2 separate processes (lets say CB-A and CB-B). CB-B has a data file associated with it that is deployed from the cookbook. However, once deployed the data file can be updated. I was thinking of using the Chef API to dynamically move CB-B from one node to another, but how to move the associated data file? Do I need to somehow sync the updated file back to the cookbook before moving the cookbook to another node?, or is that done automatically?

Or is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks for any help.

Joe