[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Web UI statement

  • From: Marco Betti < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Web UI statement
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 08:17:50 +0200

Thank you very much Noah for spending time in such a complete answer.
Chef community is really awsome :-)

Il 27/giu/2014 07:52 "Noah Kantrowitz" < "> > ha scritto:
Disclaimer: I do not work for Opscode/ChefInc so my information may be out of date.

As of the last plans announced, the Web UI in FOSS Chef is deprecated and is only marginally maintained. No new feature development has been done on it in quite some time, only minimal security maintenance is done and even that can have some unfortunate lag given the number of Rails 0days lately. The UI was briefly removed in early 11 builds I think, but as this was unannounced there was enough outcry to put it back in. Unfortunately thats kind of been the end of it.

As I said, there has been no significant development on it in over a year as the internal teams moved over to "webui2", which is an Enterprise Chef-only feature. No specific removal plan has been announced that I know of, but presumably it will be removed fully in Chef 12 as that is the next release that can be backwards-incompatible.

At this point I highly recommend disabling the WebUI in FOSS Chef given the potential security risks and general deprecation. There are a few community projects that provide a web interface for a Chef server, but all are much smaller in scope, generally offering only read operations and tailored to a particular workflow. This is unfortunate, when we started work on webui2 is was understood this was the likely outcome but as they say Cash Rules Everything Around Me. Hope that clears up some of the questions, and if I've said any untruths I hope Opscode will set the record straight.

--Noah