[chef] Investigating slow chef-solo startup times

  • From: Ketan Padegaonkar < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Investigating slow chef-solo startup times
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 08:36:22 -0300

Hi –

We're noticing that chef solo is taking very long (9-11 seconds) to run for what seem like a small set of recipes that create a few files (we do not do any network IO as part of that chef run)

Looking at the logs, it seems most of the time is spent during startup. Are there any tips and tricks to improve startup time?

If it helps, we're running the latest (v11.12.8) installed via omnibus on a centos 6.5 OpenVZ guest.

- Ketan