[chef] Re: Chef Nginx cookbook - override version number

  • From: Mike < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Chef Nginx cookbook - override version number
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 07:45:03 -0400

Hello!

I'm sorry it isn't clear, it definitely could be. There's a lot of attributes to drive the cookbook.

First off, there's an `install_method` attribute, which defaults to `package`[1]. This is the default, as most platforms provide an nginx package via a repository (also configurable via attributes).

The version flag is not used in the package.rb recipe when calling the package resource, as the versions provided by distro maintainers varies greatly, so setting a default would probably be troublesome for most people and hard to maintain effectively.

Alternately, you may configure which repository to be used via the `repo_source` attribute [2] (if on RedHat-based platforms) to get the Nginx-provided repo instead of EPEL.

NOTE: If nginx is already installed, the package provider will not execute, since nginx could have been installed via source package or another method. [3]

If you're looking for a version that is not located in the repos, you may use the the `install_method = 'source'` to drive the desired version to be compiled from source and installed.

I recommend reading the some of the code and documentation to get a better sense of how to drive the desired results.
If the documentation isn't clear, please feel free to send a pull request!

Best,
-M