[chef] How tdo I configure the ssl to make the chef client and server happy

  • From: Stephen Corbesero < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] How tdo I configure the ssl to make the chef client and server happy
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 13:27:37 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

I am setting up a chef server for a project in AWS, and I am trying to find the best way to make the server and client happy wrt the ssl settings.

I want to do the following.

·        Create a chef server with a private IP address and a public (elastic) IP address.

·        I want to use chef01.some.dom.com as the DNS/hostname for the private IP address, and I want to use chef01-eip.some.dom.com as the DNS for the public IP address,  AND I want to create  a CNAME of just chef.some.dom.com which I will use as the name of the chef server in the client.rb files.

When I do that, the ssl checking fails.  The name of the server in client.rb (che.some.dom.com) does not match the name on the certificate, which was generated with the machines hostname, chef01.some.dom.com.

I try to outsmart the “chef-server-ctl reconfigure” command by temporarily changing the host name to my CNAME (chef.some.dom.com).  Well, chef-server-ctl  is too clever for me.  It does a DNS lookup and finds the actual name associated with the address so it now generates a certificate with name chef01-eip.some.dom.com.

What should I be doing?  I am perfectly happy with the self-generated certificate.

On a related note, will I also have to copy that cert to the trusted_certs/ directory on all the clients?

--

Stephen Corbesero, DevOps Engineer

Synchronoss - Mobile Innovation for a Connected World