[chef] Running chef in multiple environments

  • From: "Deprez, Tom" < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Running chef in multiple environments
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 08:56:24 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US

Hi,

We’re using chef to build our new hosting environment, which comprises of 3 environments (dev, staging and production), and manage our own chef server. So far we’ve been using chef environments to change variables etc between the 3 environments. However, we’ve come across an issue whereby we need to test a new role in our dev environement.

With cookbooks we can restrict the version that is used between environments, but there doesn’t seem to be anything similar with roles (or data bags, which is another issue).

I’m just wondering, what do people do in this situation? Should we be looking to run a separate chef server in each environment instead of using chef environments?

Thanks

Tom

HBVB trading as Bauer Corporate Services (BCS) is a division of the Bauer Media
Group the largest consumer publisher in the UK, and second largest commercial
radio broadcaster. BCS provides financial services and manages and develops IT
systems on which our UK publishing, broadcast, digital and partner businesses depend.

The information in this email is intended only for the addressee(s) named above.
Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended
recipient of this message any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action
taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. HBVB do not warrant that
any attachments are free from viruses or other defects and accept no liability for
any losses resulting from infected email transmissions.

Please note that any views expressed in this email may be those of the originator
and do not necessarily reflect those of this organisation.

HBVB is registered in England; Registered address is
1 Lincoln Court, Lincoln Road, Peterborough, PE1 2RF.

Registration number 8453545