[chef] Homebrew Cookbook 1.9.0

  • From: Joshua Timberman < >
  • To: Chef users < >
  • Subject: [chef] Homebrew Cookbook 1.9.0
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 12:51:56 -0600

Ohai Chefs,

Yesterday I released version 1.9.0 of the homebrew cookbook. This includes the following types of changes. Numeric references are GitHub PR/issue #s.

For Chef 12, we're hoping to get the homebrew package provider added to Chef and make it the default for OS X, see the RFC. It's not clear yet what change will be required in the cookbook.
Homebrew cookbook 1.9.0 changelog:
Improvements:

- #35 Modernize the cask provider (use why run mode, inline resources)
- #43 Use `brew cask list` to determine if casks are installed
- #45 Add `default_action` and print warning messages on earlier
   versions of Chef (10.10)

New Features:

- #44 Add `:install` and `:uninstall` actions and alias previous `:cask`,
  `:uncask` actions to them

Bug Fixes:

- #27 Fix name for taps adding the `/homebrew` prefix
- #28 Set `RUBYOPT` to `nil` so Chef can execute in a bundle (bundler
   sets `RUBYOPT` and this can cause issues when running the
   underlying `brew` commands)
- #40 Fix regex for cask to match current homebrew conventions
- #42 Fix attribute for list of formulas to match the README and
   maintain backward compat for 6 day old version

  • [chef] Homebrew Cookbook 1.9.0, Joshua Timberman, 07/30/2014