[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: Running chef in multiple environments

  • From: Lamont Granquist < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: Running chef in multiple environments
  • Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 10:52:26 -0700

On 8/1/14, 1:51 AM, James Le Cuirot wrote:
I don't really agree with this. If someone has broken in, you should take time to work out exactly what has been changed and how they managed to do it. You should also take that box offline immediately instead of relying on Chef to patch it up in the short term. While Chef's enforcement of permissions is a nice side effect, I don't think it should be used primarily as a security feature. My cookbooks use /etc/shadow but given that this file was already present with the correct permissions before installing Chef, I don't think Chef should attempt to enforce this. You could write a cookbook to enforce the permissions of every vaguely important file on the system but this would be tedious and probably not very effective. Watching for unexpected file system changes is really a job for AIDE and the like.

I totally agree that Chef/CFEngine/Puppet/etc make bad Tripwire-like systems.

I've still absolutely used them as prevent controls in SOX and PCI-DSS environments and to show compliance with written systems standards. We can argue about the absolute security utility of that, but practically it makes the PCI-DSS auditor go away and I like that... =)