[chef] Re: Run Chef in another user

  • From: Matthew Moretti < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Run Chef in another user
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 09:54:55 -0400

Hey Ana,

execute uses mixlib-shellout under the hood, which in turn (on Unix-y platforms) forks and sets the uid of the child process. So, it does run the command “as” the specified user, but it doesn’t “log in” as that user. If what you need is for your command to run under tcsh as that user, you could use the script resource and specify an interpreter, I think.

I notice that Chef actually has a “csh” resource which might do the trick (since tcsh is csh-compatible).

Matt Moretti