[chef] Re: How to manage databases with chef?

  • From: Vladimir Skubriev < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: How to manage databases with chef?
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 15:49:19 +0400

Personally, I would not set up the database using the CHEF.

I would set up her hand, and would have used the logs and password to access it on the client owncloud.

This is simple workaround and easy case.

Data is essentially static.

In my opinion in the simplest case - one database:
Better fulfill its setting machine with MYSQL manually. And the using hostname, username, password with chef-client to configure data client (owncloud) application.

Previously, I set up a base through CHEF.
But later it turned out that for personal use(or simple cases) is an overhead.

Excusme for bad english.

What are some best practices for coordinating cookbooks on several different servers? In my example, I have an application (owncloud) that also needs to create a database on another (MySQL) server. I do not want to allow remote root access to that MySQL server.

So the process should be something along the lines of:

-          On owncloud server: chef-client install owncloud binaries and somehow communicates with chef-client on the database server

-          On db server: create owncloud database and a user to access this database and communicates the user name and password back.

-          On owncloud server: continue owncloud configuration

How is this type of scenario best handled in chef?

Thanks!

--
Faithfully yours,

CVision Lab System Administrator