[chef] [collectd] cookbook upgrade

  • From: Jek Sirex < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] [collectd] cookbook upgrade
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 20:57:26 +0300

Ohai, Chefs!

Recently, I've started work on upgrading cookbook collectd: https://github.com/coderanger/chef-collectd (which looks abandoned)
Now I finished with completely rewritten cookbook: https://github.com/jsirex/cookbook-collectd

I hope that is better now, but it supports Chef ~> 11.0.

If somebody is interesting on collectd cookbook it will be great if you will try my :) (It is my first try to write serious cookbook).

Here is major changes:
  1. Added many skeleton files (Gemfile, Berksfile, Rake, Kitchen, etc)
  2. Introduced full testing with rubocop, foodcritic, chefspec, test-kitchen
  3. Attributes have been converted from symbols to strings
  4. Cookbook by default does not install any plugin
  5. Supported platform for now Debian and Ubuntu
  6. Definition has been removed
  7. Added HWR and many HWP (provider is chosen dynamically by name of the plugin)
  8. Added possibility to multiply times call collectd_plugin resource from different recipes or cookbooks. Options are merged!
  9. Cookbook is flexible: if you want to add custom plugin or override behavior of existing one just define class Chef::Provider::Collectd<MyCustomPlugin>Plugin < Chef::Provider::CollectdPlugin.
  10. Recipe "collectd::_test_plugins" added. You can use it as example/reference. Also specs are using this recipe for tests

best regards,
Yauhen