[chef] Re: Auditing file checksums

  • From: DV < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Auditing file checksums
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 12:09:18 -0700

(forgot to CC chef list)

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 12:08 PM, DV < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Daniel,

Indeed the file resource doesn't have a checksum, but I think that makes sense because when you use a file resource in Chef, you must also specify file contents right there in Chef. Only with remote_file resource the file contents come outside of Chef, so checksum applies here.

Here's what you can specify as remote_file's source:

>The location (URI) of the source file. This value may also specify HTTP (http://), FTP (ftp://), or local (file://) source file locations.

I haven't tested this out, but perhaps you can make the source and destination the same and add checksum like following:

remote_file "/etc/at.deny" do
  source "file://etc/at.deny"
  checksum "12345abdcef.."
end